Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Not by words alone...

Ok...
So! We have been working like CRAZY this week! 
Seriously, we are so excited and everything is going well.  
Preach My Gospel phrase of the day: (chapter 11)
"For your testimony to have convincing power, you must be sincere. Powerful testimony is not dependent on eloquence or the volume of your voice but on the conviction of your heart." 
hahahahahaha! I had to remember it.:)  This week, we had many wonderful experiences with this way of giving testimony.  During our class that we have as missionaries at the beginning of the week, we were talking a little about testimony.  I remembered those first days I was here in Mexico.  I didn't know very much spanish...(like none.)  I could still only talk english.....and I remembered the feeling so many times as I wanted to help the people, I knew how they felt and I felt like I could have helped so much more if only they spoke english...;)  But during those moments, I also remembered the powerful Spirit that testified as I gave my personal testimony, from my heart, of what the Gospel had done for me.  Now, I CAN talk a little more spanish....but as the phrase says.... my testimony doesn't have to do with how I say it, or the wonderful words I use, but the conviction I FEEL.   That is what we have been working on, and SEEING this week:)
We were with a sister, A...  She is working hard and was a little less active, but is working on going to the temple.  She has made it a goal, and she wants to do it.  As we talked, my companion and I (we were on the same wave length) thought of the blessings our families had recieved from being able to go to the temple, from being able to be together forever. There were so many things brought to my mind.  As we shared and she shared,  we taught the first lesson she would need to start to that goal of going to the temple.   Her daughter, (who is not a member) began to listen and sat down.  She listened more and more, and at the end, she said, "I want something like what you guys are saying.....is it ok if I go to church with my mom this Sunday?"  We told her of course, and she went.  But it wasn't us, it was the Spirit, the tesitmony it bore of what her mom was changing and trying to do to be able to go to the temple.  That changed everything.
Later in the week we had a recent convert with me, P...( we went on splits).  He is on fire!  We went to visit a sister who had been investigating our church for a long time.  When we got there, we said a prayer and for some reason, she started to tell us that she didn't want to listen any more.  That she was ok where she was, and that she didn't need anything more in life.  In a moment of silence, P... decided to speak.  As he spoke of his conversion, of how he had changed as the head of the family, and how his FAMILY had changed.  Then something happened, that sister, M... changed, she listened.  After awhile, we read some scriptures that testified of the same thing.  Sister M... changed.  She said, "You know what, I have to read this book. REALLY read it and KNOW if it is true or not."  She decided to have us visit the next week.  And her prayer, of asking if it was true or not, was beautiful and you could feel the Spirit TESTIFYING.
Lastly, we were with another M...there are quite a few here:)  Her husband is sick and in the hospital-- he isn't doing well.  We went to visit with a brother, S.... He and his family had had similiar problems a while ago.  As he testified and share how the Gospel had helped him, Sister M... started crying.  She KNEW that the Lord was aware of what was going on, and she knew that there was hope.  It was so exciting to see.
I know, this might not be a crazy letter, but it is something I saw, and I loved:)  My testimony has changed a little this week.  A quote I love, "Preach the gospel, and when necessary, use words." 
Testimony is not just what we say things, not just stories.  It is part of us:)  It is our spiritual motor.  And I have had to pay a little more attention to the care I am giving mine lately.  
I love you so much and I KNOW that we can be together forever.  I know it, because I have asked, and because the Lord has responded.  I KNOW my Savior lives and I want to represent him at all times! 
I love you guys so much! Have a great week and preach at all times:)
Love,
Elder Goodman!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment